This year's MatCalc course 'Thermodynamic and kinetic simulations with MatCalc' was held from Aug. 5-8 2014 at the Vienna University of Technology with 16 participants from both academia and industry.
Training 2014: "Thermodynamic and kinetic simulations with MatCalc"
Tuesday (10:00 - 17:00)
- Introduction in MatCalc: GUI and first steps
- Theory: thermodynamic equilibrium, driving forces, databases, ...
- Practical training: How to create a workspace, simple equilibrium calculations, stepped calculations ...
- Practical training: Graphical representation of results, data export, ...
Wednesday (9:00 - 17:00)
- Scheil-Gulliver type calculations (theory and practice)
- T0- temperature (theory and practice)
- Using scripts in MatCalc (examples)
- Theory: Phase transformation and precipitation: Comparison of popular models (KJMA, parabolic growth, DICTRA, ...)
- Practice: How to set up precipitation kinetics simulations
- Theory: Introduction to the SFFK Model
Thursday (10:00 - 18:00)
- Theory: Nucleation theory and implementation into MatCalc
- Practice: Changing nucleation conditions: Ortho- / paraequilibrium nucleus composition, nucleation sites, etc.
- Practice: Simulation of heat treatments
- Theory: Treatment of interfacial energies.
- Theory and practice: Grain boundary precipitation versus random distribution: the importance of the correct diffusion field geometry
Friday (8:30 - 14:30)
- Calculation of TTP-diagrams (theory and example)
- Discussion / analysis of practical examples of users